With the rise in urbanization worldwide, modern civilization and technology also ensure that the construction industry stands at the forefront in the flow. As the core part of construction projects, we now know today within it different dimensions and structures to meet the modern demands. Modern-day building plans and architecture are done on a computer, giving a broader and vaster option. visit https://www.bkhgroup.com.au/formwork/ to learn about the formwork in Australia.
Furthermore, construction materials with these options can make more accurate estimations of construction material to produce lasting and more robust structures with state-of-the-art machinery. The machinery is more practical and precise in executing tasks ad is safer to construct different systems. Given that, concrete construction is a more widely used method in creating buildings, long roads, bridges, towers, skyscrapers, high-rise buildings, and many modern structures.
In terms of concrete construction, the use of formworks is an integral part of achieving various shapes and strengths of these concrete structures. The essence of formwork made of concrete in a structure is to provide much-needed support for the complete form of the design. When you create a formwork of the exact structure in the form of a mold, you can then pour the concrete mixture into the molds, and then you have the shape.
What is a Concrete Formwork?
Concrete Formwork refers to creating a temporary structure in the form of a mold according to the project design. The concrete and other materials will eventually pour into it. When this structure solidifies and becomes stiff, it can then be separated from the mold while you obtain the size and shape of what you desire.
Characteristics of Concrete Formwork
Ideal formwork should contain the following properties:
- It should be cost-effective, safe, and economical to use under similar conditions that the building will be subject to
- Have enough strength that can withstand different types of loads in various shapes
- Concrete formworks should be firm, strong, and be of lightweight
- It should also serve a high-quality finish in the eventual structure of the whole more enormous concrete structure. The formwork should also have the right shape and size that fits into the target structure
- Concrete formworks should be removable and reusable even after construction, depending on whether the formwork structure is permanent or temporary
- It should be able to preserve its shape over a long period, if in its permanent use
Types of Concrete Formwork
Modern construction requires diverse concrete formworks. And, it depends on the desired shape, size of the concrete structure, such as building roads, overhead bridges, and other constructions. The list below comprises some of the major types of concrete formworks in the construction industry.
- Traditional timber formwork
This type of formwork is one of the earliest formwork because it is made from timber or plywood and requires on-site manufacturing, and it makes it easy to crate. This structure also has a short lifespan and consumes a lot of time when you desire to use it for large structures.
- Reusable plastic formwork
This formwork’s name already suggests that it is made from plastic and is reusable due to its lightweight. More so, this formwork is robust for different uses, including interlocking and innovative formwork systems.
- Engineered formwork
An engineered formwork is that whose structure is according to the shapes and sizes of prefabricated modules. It also depends on the structural frame, which can come from aluminum or steel. Meanwhile, in contrast to the timber formwork, engineered formwork is faster to construct.
- Flexible formwork
Formwork that is termed ‘flexible’ already shows that its lightweight is the major characteristic. But in addition to the weight, it has a high tensile strength through different sheets of fabric that complement the fluidity of concrete in it. This formwork is usually less concrete than others.
- Permanent Insulated formwork
The permanence in this insulated formwork indicates that it can continue to provide extra thermal, fire- and rodent-resistant, and acoustic properties to the final structure. Insulating Concrete Forms (ICF) refer to insulated structures from polystyrene foam.
- Stay-in-place structural formwork
These formworks are in fiber-reinforced plastic forms that are prefabricated off-site and then assembled on site. The shape is usually hollow, and they are applicable in the construction of piers and columns. More so, the formwork can also act as shear reinforcements to prevent damage.
Each of these concrete formworks has a particular application or role in the construction work, depending on the desired quality, period of use, and structure. Different buildings and concrete structures have diverse requirements in the buildup and therefore demand simply too complex components. For instance, the kinds of formworks in high-rise buildings may differ from what is applicable in commercial or residential structures.
Moreover, permanent insulated structures or concrete formworks are the best types of formworks applicable for residential and commercial structures in no time. In some situations, some of the structures may also be transferrable at a low cost. These concrete formworks are also fire-resistant and have a high level of durability and thermal insulation. How can we then use these formworks in the construction of modern construction projects?
The Significance of Concrete Formwork
The above description of concrete formworks in modern construction projects shows that it plays an integral role in the overall construction industry. Therefore, below are some of the significance of concrete formworks in current construction projects.
- When you have concrete formworks in place, you can build sophisticated structures in no time.
- Concrete formwork can also become a working platform or template for construction workers
- It can enhance the safety of construction projects while on-site since the significant tasks of casting can be done off-site
- Formwork is one of the highly economical and highly affordable options in construction that can save the investor a lot of costs
- The structure of concrete frameworks increases overall surface finishing and the outcome or deliverable of the project.
- Finally, concrete formworks increase the efficiency and effectiveness rates of the input resources during construction.